Friday, August 15, 2008

quickie

Just a quickie before I do a proper photo update tomorrow: I left Istanbul on Friday last and have made my way down the Aegean and then the Mediterrean coast of Turkey since then. I started off with two days in Izmir, Turkey's second largest city, then a night in Selcuk to see the ruins of Epheseus and the Temple of Artemis, then a night in Fetiyeh preparing for a four day Med cruise which has just delivered me to the little town of Olympus.

Before I left Istanbul, I visited a 'hamam' or turkish bath and got a massage. The guy who massaged me can only be described as a big fat sado masochist. He started with an exfoliation which was paramount to skinning me alive.... then slapped me down on a marble surface and proceeded to generally beat me up in a very violent manner. After punching me in the gut for about five minutes he started bending my extremities in directions that they're not supposed to be bent in... It was very sore and every now and then I let out a little shriek (like a little girl) which only served to have him increase the ferociousness of the violation and grumble Turkish insults at me.

Will post photos tomorrow.

No comments: