Friday, August 29, 2008

The Tehran Summer

Jayzus, had a mad day today... walked about a trillion miles all over the city... I'm in the more affluent north of the city (my hostel being in the south) and earlier on this afternoon, I went for a stroll in the Park and bumped into something called the Tehran Summer Festival... Twas mad altogether... I lazed in the sun reading my book and talking to randomers. The Park was jammers with people all with picnics and playing badminton like mad bastards. There was all kinds of cultural shite on display and then when it got dark there was this crazy coloured water dance show where the fountains in the lake got down and jiggy to some choons... Brilliant altogether!

The money is still seriously wrecking my head though. They have rials here which are denominated in quadrillions, but when they talk about money, they talk in Toman, which means ten rials. So when you buy something, they tell you for instance: "1000 please sir"... and you dig through your ridiculous amount of notes and find one that says 1000 on it (in crazy symbols... see below) and hand it over... and they look at you like you're some kind of fruitcake and say "One THOUSAND please sir" and then you cop that they actually mean ten thousand so you have go rooting through your telephone book of notes again and dig out another couple of wads to keep the punter happy. I WILL UNDERSTAND THIS MONEY!!!

No real other news... I'm talking to people trying to come up with a plan of attack for Iran (I mean that in a friendly-traveller's-route kinda way, and not a You-can't-have-nuclear-energy-or-we'll-blow-you-up kinda way). There's a couple of places which are musts (Esfehan, Yadz etc.) but I want to come up with a decent itinerary so I'm talking to people about it and letting them deface my Lonely Planet (adding to the never-ending collection of email addresses I'm amassing).

Finally, I did the best thing that I ever did today... I got my card reader (which I use to transfer photos from my camera to computer) and I unceremoniously FUCKED it into the bin. It's been pissing me off since South America insofar as it only works every fourteenth time and generally breaks my balls. So I popped into one of the shops here and I bought a new one... It was super cheap and super plasticy but it works a dream... and so, my feathered friends, putting up photos has just become a lot easier and I leave you now with some of my first impressions of Iran.

Keep it real, homedogs! (And anyone going to Electric Picnic, I hope you have a ball of a time... I would love to be there!!!)


1 comment:

Ger said...

Hi Conor, just reading your interesting blog here. Only got the address yesterday. Looks like unusual travel destinations and very cool! Photos look good too. Off to France on Sunday, not quite as exotic as your destinations though. Mind yourself and have fun.