Friday, September 26, 2008

Iran Pakistan border

Have just arrived in Quetta, in the Balochistan province of Pakistan, after a crazy 24 hour journey. I got up at six o' clock yesterday and got a taxi to the main road, where a bus to Zahedan picked me up. I sat behind this guy with the worst breath on the face of the planet and had to stick pieces of tissue paper up my nose. After four hours of that, I arrived in Zahedan, the fairly lawless frontier town of Iran, where I immediately jumped in a taxi to take me the 85 kilometres to the border. At the border, I was adopted by a Pakistani family who ushered me through customs, changed some money and then jumped in a joe maxi to Tatfan, the border town on the Pakistani side and aptly described by lonely planet as hell on earth. I hung around Tatfan with my Pakistani family eating lamb stew with my fingers until about four o'clock when we all got on the bus to Quetta. 16 hours of backbreaking roads, we arrived in Quetta at six o'clock this morning. I'm absolutely fucked!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

this guy is crazy:)

Anonymous said...

Have a karahi lamb for me.

Guyan

Anonymous said...

Hi from all in McNamara's! Sonia, Carol and Catherine in particular! We're following your progress even if some of us are having difficulties sending in comments!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Conor,

Having such fun reading your blog, seriously you should think of writing a book when you get home you would make a fortune. Keep writing I know it bores you sometimes but think of all of us here reading and cracking up laughing. Great to hear you're safe and enjoying the trip so much.
Catherine xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Conor,

Having such fun reading your blog, seriously you should think of writing a book when you get home you would make a fortune. Keep writing I know it bores you sometimes but think of all of us here reading and cracking up laughing. Great to hear you're safe and enjoying the trip so much.
Catherine xx

Anonymous said...

Conor, don't laugh that I sent 2 comments with the same thing, only learned how to send the stupid comment thingy - blonde or what - but you have to click anonymous for it to get to you. Anyway, looking good Conor, looking good.

Catherine

Anonymous said...

Hey Conor,

Hang in there! You are doing something I have always wanted to do and never quite got there.
I don´t have any contacts in Pakistan but I think Steve Bickerstaff is till working in Afghanistan and may be of better assistance.
Worst case, I definitely have some cold beers waiting in my fridge for you in Jakarta. I live and work there now and have a comfy apt that you are welcome to stay as long as you want to receover. I definitiely have some contacts once you gte to the SE Asia part.
I will keep on top of your travels.
Keep safe and keep smiling.
Shane S