Friday, June 5, 2009

Back to guilty boozing

Just a quickie... After a final few drinks with my fellow trekkers last night, I left Gangtok this morning at nine o'clock. I got a five hour boneshaker jeep to Siliguri and from there caught a four hour local bus to where I am now.

So where am I now, I hear you ask... Well, I've left the mountains and come back down to the plains. Together with Siobhan, one of my fellow trackers, an Irish girl stuck in a Scottish accent, I've shacked up in a little place called Madarihat, in the West Bengali Hills. It's just outside the Jaldapara Wildlife Reserve, where tomorrow morning, we're due to mount elephants (in the transport sense of the word) to go rhino hunting. Well, OK... that's a bit of a porky. We're going rhino spotting, rather than hunting. (Siobhan would never agree to that, she's a vet and ridiculously animal friendly... although she's been regaling me with stories of how she castrates puppies for a living).

I'm gonna do some rhino spotting and forest trekking tomorrow and then I'll head down to Cooch Behar the next day to get a train to Guhati (in Assam) where I'll meet my friend Vikram from Mumbai and we'll boogey on down to his family's house in Shillong.

It's weird being back in the lowlands. Sikkim was very different from the rest of India. The government is quite well off up there, so it's very clean (plastic bags are forbidden) and the infrastructure is very good. Gangtok itself feels more like a town in the Alps than an Indian town. Also the people are more like the Nepali's or Tibetans (of which there are many) and not really like the Indians that much. There's lots of meat everywhere (even pork and beef) and it's got to be the only state where you don't feel like an absolute evil deviant if you want to have a drink. They have off-licenses galore and really nice bars and clubs where you can have a tipple, nothing at all like the dingy, men-only, dark backrooms of Indian bars, where you feel like you're waiting on a child prostitute instead of a beer. But it is a weird state, it was only incorporated into India in the 70's, before that it was a kinda of Indian protectrate. Click here for more Sikkim info.

Signing off for your correspondent back in the sweatshop of India.

C.

No comments: