Thursday, February 5, 2009

Smiley happy people

alright, so I'm clearly not in blog updating mood... you'll have noticed that. And I know that I promised that things would be better now that I have my laptop. And they're not!

The essential problem is that I've been doing a huge amount of boozing in the evenings and sleeping/lazing on the beach during the day... it's a cycle of procrastination and laziness that grows exponentially and the smallest little challenges become overwhelming, energy-sapping obstacles.

Just as I finished typing that last paragraph, one of the lads knocked on the window of the Internet cafe waving a big bottle of vodka around like a maniac... fuck sake... can I not somehow get out of this situation.

What was I saying... yes, the challenges that overwhelm one on the beach:
1. Buying cigarettes
2. Going to the ATM
Well, that's all I can think of for now (maybe the numeration wasn't necessary), but I can assure you that the obstacles thrown in my way on a daily basis are substantial.

Today, I summoned up an immense amount of energy and went for a ride on my scooter. I needed some 'Conor' time. There are loads of cool people staying in beach huts around me. They're from all over the world and we've had some great nights and days, but today, I needed to get out of there. So I took my lil' girly scooter (it might as well be pink) and I went off on my toblerone.

I drove to a beach called Paradise beach, which was nice, but not paradise! There were a few standard hippy types dancing around the beach drawing big hearts in the sand (Acid is great), and there were dolphins jumpin' around in the water which was quite nice as well. There was even a dead dolphin on the beach which provided a good outlet for some morbid fascination.

The best thing was the drive there and back though; I was bangin' along roads going through paddy fields and then little cute villages. It seemed like everyone I passed gave me a little smile and a headshake, and I was smiling back at everyone. Anytime I stopped to ask for directions, everyone was really friendly and I was pulling funny faces at little kids and all... great craic!

I had to get a little ferry across the river that divides the state of Goa and the state of Maharashtra. The ferry was a tiny little thing, yet there were about ten people working on it, all wearing the standard brown shirt and pants that any Indian involved in transportation wears as their uniform. They were pointing out attractive Russian girls to each other and then generally giggling like a bunch of schoolchildren.

One thing about India, is that a lot of people just stand around doing nothing all the time. Even when they're working, they always have far too many people employed, so everyone just seems to stand around (or sleep on any shaded surface). And they all chat to each other as well... when I was waiting for the ferry today, all the Injuns who were taking it ended up chatting together, while all the 'Westerners' (a lot of Rooskies here, hence the inverted comma's) stood at opposite ends of the boat avoiding all eye contact with each other.

I think maybe cos there are so many people here and everyone lives on top of each other, they're all just used to general chit chat with strangers.

Anyway, that's today's final thought... I'm going to try to sneak back to my hut and grab an early night tonite. But if I get caught by anyone, then I'm fucked and will end up boozing again... so I have to be steathly. I'm gonna finally get off my ass tomorrow and will go south to another beach, so I can at least justify my scooter rental.

Peace out....

No comments: